Thursday, April 28, 2005

reality bites

my life has become so unbelievably cluttered. there's so much to think about, so much to do. how do people handle it all?? right now, i have to clean my bathroom, find something to eat, do laundry, go find the zipcar my boyfriend and i are driving to NY tomorrow, read basically an entire book (discourses on livy by machiavelli, which is as boring and awful as it sounds), go to cvs and buy shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant because i am out of all those things, shower, find clean clothes to wear, watch the OC if i have time... all of this has to get done today, which is not encouraging in any way. my allergies are going nuts and i am so tired and overwhelmed.
not to mention, i am pretty stressed out about bringing my boyfriend home to meet my parents tomorrow. well, he's met my mom and that went well but my dad is the one to worry about. there are certain immediate problems with the BF: he's not irish or catholic, he has an earring, he's not particularly masculine, he drives foreign cars. sounds hilarious that these would be potential reasons to dislike your daughter's boyfriend, but for my dad, these are pretty much deal breaking things.
and yes, what my parents think still means something. i'm only 22 and i'm not in a position to tell my parents i don't care what they think. so if my dad doesn't like him it's going to be a problem. apparently though, my dad has been going through some midlife crisis where he has become infinitely less gruff and interested in home decorating. so, who knows. apparently he told my mom that he doesn't care what my BF is like as long as i'm happy, which makes me snort in disbelief, but as they say-- "don't look a gift horse in the mouth." i know he'll have his silent opinion but hopefully it will stay silent.
it's strange because the BF and i are entering that stage when the lovey-dovey-ness of our relationship is over. it's been five months and there is a palpable change in the time we spend together. part of it is that i can't really let go of this fight we had a couple of weeks ago when he said "it's always about me." that really burned me and i'm trying to forget about it but it's hard. especially when the other night, i wanted to go home with him, clearly so we could have sex, but since i had to do stuff for school i would have to get up earlier than him-- 830 instead of 9. and he said NO, that he hadn't been sleeping well and didn't want to get up early! ha! of course i was kinda tipsy and therefore got pretty upset about it, but i didn't say anything. and on top of that, there was a stabbing on my block the other day, and he was sending me home alone. jackass. of course, when i did get home he called and apologized and said that he should have said it was ok and got up at 830, and he actually said he was sorry, which was kind of vindicating. but its kind of hard to adjust to this sort of twisted shit. i mean we love each other and we still have fun together but now the little things are starting to rear their ugly heads. and whether or not you can deal with these little things is what makes your relationship survive, so i am attempting to deal.
in general i just wish things were less complicated. i hate whining about it because everyone has to grow up, right? it's an unfortunate fact of life, and one that i'm having trouble getting used to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home